LSRC Board Job Descriptions
The President shall preside at all meetings of the Club and of the Board of Directors and shall have the general supervision over the affairs of the Club, its property and its servants. He/she shall be an ex-officio member of all committees. Be the liaison representative for LSRC on Civic League Board of Trustees; negotiate daycare contract and scheduling, work with swim team rep on practice, event scheduling, and compensation for pool rental. Obtain yearly Business license, update SCC (State Corporation Commission); assist with annual liability, Workman’s Comp, Director and Officers insurance review, assist with fund raising; write a short article each month keeping our members updated for the LSRC newsletter and promote upcoming events.
In the absence of the President, the Vice President shall perform his/her duties. Should neither be present at any meeting, a chairman shall be chosen by vote. The VP shall automatically assume the office of President at the appropriate time. The Vice President also will perform all duties related to Pool Operations. Responsible for hiring manager, assist interviewing and hiring life guards. Process all applications and forms required to maintain personal files, assist manager with scheduling for guard coverage for pool hours.
The secretary shall keep the records of the meetings of the Club and of the Board of Directors, the corporate seal of the Club and the list of its members, and shall perform such other duties as may from time to time be fixed by the Board. He/she shall deliver notices of all meetings of the Club and of the Board of Directors to members thereof, as provided by the by-laws and shall conduct all correspondence, excepting that pertaining to the office of Treasurer. He/she will inform the members of activities of the club, membership drives and pool closings due to weather or other conditions. The secretary will keep copies of important documents, put together and deliver the Larkspur News newsletter, keep and update the monthly calendar, and post event reminders on the Facebook page.
The Treasurer shall collect and discharge the funds as directed by the Board; he/she shall keep the accounts in books belonging to the Club, which shall be at all times open for inspection of the Board of Directors, to whom he/she shall make monthly reports. Computer skills and ability to use QuickBooks is necessary. Collect and reconcile money and verify receipts. The Treasurer will process payroll for employees, record sub meter readings for HRSD billing, coordinating having water turned on and off (May and September), have dumpster delivered and picked up, reconcile accounts for payroll. He/she will make sure money received is credited to the correct activity, Other duties include: invoicing Day cares and installment pay members, paying bills (only with invoices), securing insurance, filing insurance audit paperwork, filing tax return (October), calling to discontinue payroll at the last pay period, presenting reports to the board and keeping President updated on money issues.
The Membership chair is responsible for creating the Fall/Winter Membership drive for the upcoming season. He/she will create flyers for memberships to be sent out as well as posted on the LSRC website, create/update pricing for the membership forms, and send payment vouchers. The membership chair is responsible for securing membership cards, and LSRC stickers as well as any membership incentive brochures. He/she will be responsible for promoting the half-price sale which usually begins the 3rd week of July.
Communication with the Secretary and Treasurer is important. Updated lists will need to be sent on a regular basis to keep email lists current. The membership chair should be available for the Open House in May as well as the Civic League picnic to recruit new members and answer questions.
The duty for being in charge of concessions entails keeping the kitchen stocked with food, candy, and drinks to sell to the pool patrons and daycare centers. This requires going to a wholesale vendor and grocery stores once every week or two so the pool doesn’t run out of food or drinks. The concessions job also requires money to be collected from the cash register, counted regularly, and submitted to the treasurer. An exact accounting of cost and profit should be maintained.
The social calendar should be updated monthly and posted on the website. All parties should be listed with dates, time, pavilions and contact person.
Three adult nights (June, July, and August) should be planned for each season. The chairperson should plan the menu, secure the cook, set the date, and print flyers. The chairperson needs to send the flyer to the secretary to go out to the membership. Flyers should also be posted on the website and in the clubhouse. Three parties/events for children should be planned. The social chairperson will secure food, drinks, and prizes. Flyers will be made and sent to the secretary, posted in the clubhouse and on the website.
All members requesting to rent the pool for a small daytime party or a private party must sign a rental agreement through the social chairperson. The chairperson must make arrangements to meet with the member, get all the required signatures, and checks for the rental fee and the security deposit. The chairperson will notify the vice-president to ensure proper lifeguard requirements.
The Pool Maintenance representative supervise a team of volunteers in pre-opening of the pool. He/she will maintain pool chemistry and circulation at proper levels, perform water tests, and train designated staff in procedures. He/she will check pumps and motors, inspect and maintain the chemical feed system; pool fittings, and hardware. They provide an initial response to calls for service from pool staff, assess maintenance needs, and take corrective action.
Building and Grounds:
The Building and Grounds representative supervises and participates in necessary painting and general repairs to plumbing, electrical, carpentry, windows and general mechanical areas. He/she is responsible for securing any necessary lawn services and serves as a liaison for all general contractor services to grounds and buildings. He/she is responsible for ordering supplies and equipment necessary to maintain the property. This representative checks the building and grounds on a regular basis and establishes and recommends priorities on repair projects and estimates the cost of these projects. He/she supervises a team of volunteers on pool clean up days.
The tennis representative will work with the current tennis professional to establish a tennis program. He/she will promote the program by providing times and dates to the membership. This representative will also organize any additional tennis activities.
Larkspur Swim & Racquet Club, LTD.
We are a family association, and as members of one big family, everyone should strive to respect the rights and privileges of one another. These rules, therefore, do not attempt to instruct our members in matters of normal respectful and responsible conduct but are intended to secure the maximum safety and enjoyment of our facilities. Courtesy and common sense are to be used by everyone.
- All membership fees, annual dues, and charges must be fully paid as specified by the Board of Directors prior to using the facilities. Refunds of any fees paid will only be granted through the date of the Scheduled Open House in May. Exceptions will be addressed on a case by case basis by the board.
- Each person shall use the facilities at his or her own risk and in conformance with these rules.
- All Members will be issued a membership card. The card will be scanned each time a member enters the premises. Members arriving without a membership card will have membership verified by checking a valid form of identification against membership information on file. The (acting) pool manager has the authority to permit or deny access to the pool for any individual who does not have appropriate identification. The pool manager will report details of each access denial to the board of directors the day of the occurrence. Replacement membership cards will be issued at a cost of $2.00.
- The entire facility is under the direct supervision of the Pool Manager and his/her lifeguard staff, who are directed by the Board of Directors to strictly enforce these rules and regulations. Any person may be suspended from use of the facilities for violation(s) of the rules and regulations at the discretion of the Manager in Charge. The manager must notify a member of the Board of Directors within 24 hours of the suspension. Members are expected to cooperate and abide by the Manager’s decision. If a difference of opinion arises, the member should immediately advise the Board of Directors after complying with the Manager’s direction.
- The club will not be responsible for loss or damage to personal property of members.
- Damage to club property by members or their guests will be charged to the responsible member.
- All ABC rules and regulations will be adhered to including the prohibition of consumption of alcoholic beverages by minors. No weapons are allowed on the Club property. Noncompliance with these rules shall result in loss of pool membership.
- The clubhouse and gated area surrounding the pool grounds are designated a smoke-free environment. In accordance with state law, smoking on any pool property is prohibited by individuals under the age of eighteen (18).
Hours of Operation
The most current hours of operation will be listed on the website. larkspurswim.com
- Pool facilities will be open from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Sunday nights for Family Night.
- Pool facilities will be open after normal operating hours for special events. (e.g. Dive-In movies, adult nights, etc)
All guests of the pool should be signed in properly at the gate. There is a $5 guest fee for each guest. Members should advise their guest on the rules and regulations of the Club.
- A nanny pass will be available to all nannies or babysitters of pool members’ children when a family pass is purchased. The nanny/babysitter can be part of your family. The nanny/babysitter will only be allowed to use the facilities when accompanied by the pool members’ children.
- All guests of pool members are required to pay the $5 guest fee whether they are swimming or not.
- Children under eleven years of age must be accompanied by a parent or other responsible person at all times while at the pool facilities. Please be aware, should the pool be closed for any reason, all members present will be sent home. We make every effort to provide a safe social environment for your family; however, we do not provide babysitting service. A responsible person is defined as an adult member of the LSRC or a babysitter eighteen (18) years of age or older, who has accepted responsibility for the child and to whom the parent has delegated authority to enforce safety and conduct standards.
- Children ages 12 and up may be admitted to the pool facilities without an accompanying parent or another responsible person after passing a pool test (see below). Children who have not passed a pool test may not be at the pool facilities without a parent or other responsible person.
Pool Test/Swim Test
Children, who are age twelve and up, in order to earn unaccompanied access to the pool facilities, must be able to pass the swim test which consists of swimming 25 meters without stopping and treading water in the deep end for 30 seconds. This skill must be demonstrated to a lifeguard and will be recorded on a pool test list. Lifeguards may, at any time, require a child to demonstrate his or her ability to pass the pool test. Those who cannot pass the test may not be in the pool enclosure without a parent or other responsible person. This test will also allow the child to be able to use the deep end/diving board. This test is administered each year.
- The pool will be used only when lifeguards are on duty.
- The pool will be cleared in emergencies. The signal for this will be three blasts of the lifeguard’s whistle.
- The pool manager or head lifeguard may close the pool for maintenance, health reasons, adverse weather, or for any reason they deem necessary for the health and safety of the members and guests.
- Excessively loud, abusive or profane language or breach of the peace will not be tolerated on the club premises. Members and guests will refrain from trespassing on adjoining property at all times and shall use only the designated entrance for access to the pool and tennis courts.
- Music is permitted but shall be set at a volume that will not disturb other members.
- No pets of any kind are permitted on the club premises.
- Cups, wrappers, and refuse must be placed in the trash receptacles provided. Courtesy and good housekeeping are expected of all members. No glass of any kind is allowed outside the clubhouse.
- Members and guests are requested to park their vehicles in an orderly fashion to allow for maximum use of the parking lot. Please do not park on the grass. Bicycles and scooters are to be parked in the designated area. Please note: There is a handicapped parking spot. Violators will be subject to towing.
- Any person wishing to swim laps may request a lap lane be set up at any time during regular swim hours with the approval of the Pool Manager.
- LSRC has a gas grill available daily to any member for cookouts. Proper cleanup and shut off of propane tank is required.
- Smoking/vaping is not permitted inside the fenced area of the pool or in the clubhouse of the facility. Smoking (over the age of 18) is permitted at the back of the pool area near the tennis courts. Please dispose of your refuse in the smoking tower.
- No underwater photography allowed on the premises.
- All members and guests are expected to exercise good judgment, common sense, and consideration of other members.
Health and Safety
- Larkspur Swim and Racquet Club will operate in compliance with all laws and requirements of the national, state, and local Public Health Departments.
- Members are urged to have a medical checkup and be attentive to their health during the swimming season. Those with bad colds or other contagious or infectious diseases shall not use the pool. All children, not toilet trained must wear swim diapers and/or protective rubber pants with elastic legs while in the pool. Due to Health Department regulations, no disposable diapers are allowed in the pool.
- All personal injuries, regardless of severity, must be reported to the lifeguard on duty immediately. The lifeguard staff shall file an injury report.
- Large floats and boogie boards are not permitted in the pool unless the specific authority has been granted by the Pool Manager (excluding family night).
- Adult Swim will be held every hour for a period of ten (10) minutes including Family Night. Adult Swim shall commence at 50 minutes past the hour.
- Adult Swim shall be limited to those eighteen (18) years of age and older. Parents may take a child, three years of age or younger, with them in the pool. Lifeguards DO NOT have the authority to allow individuals under the age of eighteen to swim during Adult Swim.
Diving Board and Diving Area
- Non-swimmers are not allowed in the deep end of the pool. Lifeguards may conduct spot check swimming tests to determine an individual’s ability to swim in the deep end of the pool.
- No one shall swim in front of the diving board.
- Only one person is allowed on the diving board at any time.
- No one is allowed to hang from the diving board.
- No excessive springing is allowed on the diving board.
- Diving to the side of the diving board is not permitted.
- No individuals with flotation devices are allowed on the diving board.
Each Sunday night from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. is designated as Family Night. The following special rules shall apply during these times:
- Flotation devices are permitted in the pool during family night. Lifeguards may direct the removal of any device which is contrary to the safety or enjoyment of the majority of the members present.
- Members are invited to bring guests to Family Night. Our regular guest fee of $5.00 per family will apply during these times, without visitation limits.
- LSRC will supply grills for cooking. Members are encouraged to bring dinner and cook at the club and enjoy a fun-filled evening with their family. As a courtesy to others, please make every effort to keep our grills clean.
Larkspur Swim & Racquet
732 Edwin Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23462